Here we are. This is me and my enormous belly just yesterday at 38 weeks, 1 day! I feel SO much more pregnant than I ever did with Josie...it's crazy, really!
...and here I am, hiding the bump under a shirt that is labeled "maternity" but which I am so past. I think I need clothes that are labeled "tent" at this stage...
I had a doctor's appointment yesterday at 3.40pm, and found out I was...nowhere near ready to go. Again. Which is somewhat vexing because at this stage I do feel rather stuck in pregnancy limbo: I'd hoped to have made a little bit of progress as far as "readiness" were concerned at this stage, but it doesn't look much like it. I've been having regular contractions, but they don't seem to be doing much to my cervix... In fact at the NST yesterday, I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart. Ah, me.
The biophysical profile showed a nice, big, healthy babe - she looks to be measuring (if you take her thighbone measurement) around 7.5 lb - but, if she takes after me, she's torso-heavy in terms of length, so that could mean a heavier baby. It's good - I'm glad she's measuring nicely!
Now, can she come out, please? My lovely OB is on holiday next week - this throws a potentially rather serious spanner in the works because of course, I turn 39 weeks on Monday. He is gone until the 11th - my due date. If I go into labor next week spontaneously, I will be fighting a cesarean with the remaining doctors unless labor times itself beautifully during the day - which of course, is unlikely! I don't want another cesarean...I want a VBAC. I will be very upset if I have another cesarean, no matter the comments of "oh, but at least the baby is healthy" etcetera - there's a whole ton more to it than that - a whole ton.
So I am waiting today for a 'phone call from my OB, who is getting in touch with a doctor friend of his in the cities, to see if anything can be done as far as some kind of manual cervical dilation is concerned. We shall see.
However at this stage, I am thinking we're probably going to have to ride this out at least until he comes back from holiday in two Monday's time.
Problem is of course, you have about as much chance of getting baby to stay in, than getting her to come out. It's all such an enormous gamble...